What should you eat before a workout? Here are a few tips.
The ideal pre-exercise snack or meal should:
• Be high in carbohydrates, like grains and fruit, to provide the energy necessary for the workout.
• Contain a moderate amount of protein to provide extra energy and to prevent a feeling of hunger during the workout/competition.
• Be low in fat and fiber as they take longer to digest – this will help to minimize cramps during the workout.
Some examples are of pre-exercise snacks are:
• A bowl of cereal with milk or yogurt
• Half of a peanut butter and banana sandwich
• A protein bar or other meal replacement bar
• Yogurt and fruit
• A liquid meal replacement like Ensure or Boost
• A soy or milk and fruit smoothie