(Edited from an article by One On One staffer Lindsay Playford)
“Oh sure, pinch the area where I’m fattest” and “Oh gross, I am disgusting”. Have we begun to believe that the things we think and say about ourselves are harmless? It is imperative that we realize that our thoughts, which quickly become our words, will unavoidably become our reality. So often throughout the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, we neglect to stop, and truly reflect on our inner dialogue. Our thoughts come so naturally to us that the power of our words seems to have become underestimated.
When negative self talk spills from our mouths effortlessly on a daily basis; no matter how highly inaccurate or irrelevant they may be, our thoughts can dramatically affect the state of our mind and body, and influence our decisions with potentially damaging consequences. Anais Nin, a French author once wrote “we don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are.” The truth to her words are commendable. The world is a beautiful place; however when we are clouded with ugly words and feelings, our judgment on life, our surroundings and our relationships are clouded.
Cheat day! Are you kidding me?! This is an oxymoron to me like, “slightly pregnant”. If you indulge, enjoy it and move on ! I believe that if you eat well 80 percent of the time, relax the other 20 percent. There doesn’t need to be a, “special” day of the week dedicated to indulgence. It’s not a, “cheat” day—-eating well and the occasional indulgence is simply a part of a healthy, balanced life.
Here are some cook books to add to your nutrition arsenal. What are some of your favorites?
- Looney Spoons Collections (Simple, Family Friendly)
- Oh She Glows (Vegetarian / Vegan)
- Simply Great Food – Dietitians of Canada (Simple, Family Friendly)
- Jamie Oliver – (Everyday Super Foods, Save with Jamie, & Jamie’s 15 minute meals)
- Michael Smith – Real Food, Real Good
- Taste of Home – Healthy Cooking Book
- America’s Test Kitchen
- Blogs/ Websites
- Abbey’s Kitchen
- Minimalist Baker (Vegan)
- Running with Spoons
- Sprouted Kitchen
- Pulses Canada